Sunday 29 January 2012

Pomegranate & Pecan Pudding



Have I ever told you about the pomegranate one?
No? Well, sit back and I'll begin.

One afternoon I stopped for a quick lunch at a familiar salon du thé. I entered with two bag loads of groceries and my work bag having come from work. Suddenly one of the bags slipped and everything came tumbling out! I knelt down to salvage what I could but the naughty pomegranate had rolled under a bench. So I stretched my arm out willing it to go further, spread on the floor, when two genteel looking ladies (who lunch obviously) leaned over their tables, forks in mid-air, and enquired:  ‘Are you ok?’

‘Oui! Je cherche une grenade!' I answered (translated: Yes! I'm looking for a pomegranate).
I didn’t have time to register the look on the two ladies’ faces as I had almost wrapped my fingers around the blasted little thing. When I brought forth the pomegranate, the ladies began to laugh with relief.  It was only minutes later when I had settled down to order my lunch that it had hit me -La grenade!                    
I blushed.

Bright Red

Coincidentally that same week, the area where the tearoom is situated was being evacuated to remove a bomb from the Second World War found in somebody’s garden.

 
with just pomegranate seeds
 The recipe

This is a quick and simple pudding to prepare loosely based on the Indian sweet yoghurt Shrikand which uses saffron on top of the ingredients listed below. I love the tart flavour of Greek yoghurt and sometimes eat it with nothing but a spoonful of honey. You can substitute the rose water in this recipe for orange blossom and serve with clementines which are in season right now. I often serve my guests this yoghurt pudding especially if the main has involved fireworks. I find that after a crescendo of hot spices this pudding is a soothing finale.

 Serves 4- 6
Ingredients:

1 Pomegranate
600g Greek yoghurt
2 tbsp Rosewater
10 Cardamom pod seeds freshly ground to a fine powder
Icing sugar to taste
2 tsp of Pecan nuts roughly chopped

Method
Pour the yoghurt in a large bowl. Add the rosewater, cardamom and sugar to taste. Cut the pomegranate in half; tap the back of each half (cut face down) over a bowl with a spoon to loosen the seeds. Stir the seeds into the yoghurt along with the pecan nuts- reserve a teaspoon each of the pomegranate seeds and nuts. Divide the yoghurt into serving cups or bowls. Garnish with the reserved pomegranate seeds and nuts.
Does this look like a hand-grenade?
Warning: Really ripe pomegranates are very juicy and the red juice will stain clothes. Either wear an apron when cutting into one or black clothing to be on the safe side.

No comments:

Post a Comment